This article is from the Recipes Collection, by numerous authors posting those to Usenet. The recipes cover various cuisines and a wide variety of topics, such as appetisers, breads, desserts, entrees, sauces-toppings, side-dishes, etc.). You don't need any cookbooks anymore, as there are hundreds of recipes to choose from.
posted by Kay Dekker <email@example.com>
It's a vegetarian take on the wonderful pie described in "The Leopard"
- so no, it doesn't contain any endangered mammals, in case you were
worrying. I don't know where this version originated, so I can't give
Leopard Pie (Serves 6)
* 675 g/1.5 lbs shortcrust pastry, thawed if frozen
* 225 g/8 oz dried macaroni
* 350 g/12 oz fresh spinach leaves
* half a fennel bulb, diced
* 50 g/2 oz pine nuts, fried until golden in a little oil
* half a red pepper, seeded and sliced
* 90 g/3.5 oz feta cheese, cubed
* 1 tbsp drained capers
* 200 ml/7 fl oz single cream
* 3 eggs
* 1 tsp vegetable concentrate
* 1 tbsp cornflour, blended with 2 tbsp water
* 1 tbsp caster sugar
* 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C/375 F/Gas 5. Roll out 2/3 of the
pastry on a lightly floured surface and line a 22 cm/8.5 inch
2. Cook the macaroni until al dente. Drain and set aside. Wash the
spinach and discard thick stalks. Cook in a large pan until
soft; drain and squeeze out excess water, then chop roughly.
3. Put 1/3 of the macaroni into the pastry case. Seasoning well
between the layers, add half the fennel, pine nuts, half the
remaining macaroni and the spinach. Finally top with macaroni,
pepper, feta and capers.
4. Beat together the cream, eggs, vegetable concentrate, cornflour
paste and seasoning in a small bowl until evenly combined. Pour
into the pastry case.
5. Roll out the remaining pastry to make a lid. Press the pastry
firmly down over the filling and trim the edges. Roll out the
trimmings and decorate the top of the pie. Sprinkle with
cinnamon and sugar, and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes until golden.
6. Rest for 15 minutes to serve hot, or leave until totally cold.
872 calories per serving.