Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge Frequently Asked Questions
This FAQ about Chrysler vehicles was compiled and written by David
Zatz with numerous contributions by others.
While every effort has been taken to insure the accuracy of the
information contained in this FAQ list compilation, the author and
contributors assume no responsibility for errors or omissions, or for
damages resulting from the use of the information contained herein.
Some of the information is presented as opinion rather than fact.
The writers and the maintainer do not claim to be authorities.
information below may be reproduced in any way IF credit is
given to the writers and maintainer; and that it is not published in
book or magazine form without the prior written permission of the
maintainer; that the maintainer receives, without asking, a FREE
copy of the final material; and that no changes are made (except for
formatting) without the express permission of the maintainer
(email@example.com = David Zatz).
Chrysler generally refers to the full Chrysler Group (Chrysler,
Dodge, Jeep) or, historically, Chrysler Corporation (including
Plymouth, DeSoto, Eagle, and, while they belonged to Chrysler, Simca,
Rootes Group, Sunbeam, Singer, and AMC).
- 01 What does DCX mean? DaimlerChrysler
- 02 What is Chrysler's US customer service number?
- 03 What is Chrysler's e-mail address?
- 04 What about the merger / takeover?
- 05 What's the deal with Chrysler still using Mitsubishis?
- 06 What's the deal with Chrysler's names in Canada and elsewhere?
- 07 How reliable are Consumer Reports' ratings?
- 08 How can I get help for problems Chrysler won't fix?
- 09 What's the deal with Chrysler Europe, Simca, and Talbot?
- 10 Why are so many Chrysler dealers so awful?
- 11 What is Chrysler doing about it?
- 12 Should I use high octane gas?
- 13 Is X good for my engine? (includes Slick50)
- 14 Does the Mini really use a modified Neon engine?
- 15 What does SOHC, SMPI, etc mean? What do I have?
- 16 What kind of oil should I use in my 2.2 or 2.5 liter engine?
- 17 What kind of engine do I have ???
- 18 What is a Mopar? Do I have one?
- 19 Which are the Diamond Star models?
- 20 What are the K-cars?
- 21 How do I find the fault codes stored in my engine computer?
- 22 How often should I change my trans fluid?
- 23 What kind of gas should I use?
- 24 What about lemons?
- 25 Are K&N filters worth it?
- 26 Is there anything special I should do if I have ABS?
- 27 What kind of transmission fluid should I use? Is Dexron OK?
- 28 Are Chrysler transmissions still junk?
- 29 Do I have one of those evil ABS systems I heard about?
- 30 Aren't Chryslers junk? / Has Mercedes improved Chrysler quality?
- 31 Automatic Trans Fluid
- 32 Newsgroup Charter
- 33 Important Dc Folk
- 34 Before Posting With Complaints/Questions
- 35 HOW TO DEAL WITH CHRYSLER CORP.
- 36 Non-Chrysler Solutions
- 37 What Should I Do If I Have The Following Car/Engine?
- 38 Consumer Reports Discussions
- 39 Engines used in Chryslers since 1966:
- 40 New Transmission Designations
- 41 Car Body Types
- 42 Computer Codes
- 43 Classic Car Troubleshooting
- 44 Car won't start
- 45 Anything from pollution to loss of power
- 46 Stalling ()
- 47 Windshield wipers won't work ():
- 48 Water leaks into the car:
- 49 runs rough cold, seems to improve with heat
- 50 Lean-Burn (computer-controlled carbureted engine) rough idle
- 51 Slant Six problems
- 52 318 V8 troubleshooting
- 53 Seat belt looseness
- 54 Low front end
- 55 Pinging on V-8s
- 56 Diagnosing Problems In Computer Controlled Carbureted Engines
- 57 Diagnosis And Setting Idle A/F Mixture
- 58 Replacing Crankcase Inlet Air Filters
- 59 Engines: Idling, power, stalling, mileage; transmissions
- 60 Stall, hesitation, or sag
- 61 Intermittent Idle Problems: (see also #28, #30)
- 62 Transmission noise: when shifting/stopping, buzzng/ratcheting
- 63 Fast idle on startup
- 64 Knocking
- 65 Gas mileage / rough running easy fix
- 66 Engine runs rough - computer shows code 13
- 67 Cold weather problems
- 68 Hard to shift into reverse (manual transmissions)
- 69 2.5 liter knock/idle
- 70 Other transmission issues
- 71 Metallic banging during 2-1 downshift when stopping
- 72 Harsh 2-1 downshifts
- 73 Rough idle - several cases
- 74 Power loss, stalling, and/or rough running
- 75 Power drops dramatically (engines with carb - esp 2.6)
- 76 Magnum V-6 engine problems
- 77 Power drop, black smoke, 2.6 liter
- 78 TBI engine hesitation (2.2/2.5)
- 79 Power loss/jerky on acceleration
- 80 Hesitation (also covered elsewhere)
- 81 3.9 liter (pre-1993) common problem - PREVENT IT
- 82 Turbo cuts out/power limited/power loss light
- 83 Jeep 4.0 EFI engine stalls at a stop (Jeep 4.0 stalling).
- 84 3.0 V-6 hesitation or bogging on acceleration
- 85 LH transmission clunk / rough downshift
- 86 3-speed automatic flare-up / slow 1-2 shifts
- 87 Power loss or gas mileage loss
- 88 Poor mileage, cold starts
- 89 Cold start/initial run problem - MMC 2.6
- 90 Funny noises, oil leaks, temperature stuff
- 91 Oil loss from 2.5 (maybe 2.2) liter engine
- 92 Oil loss from 2.2/2.5 revisited
- 93 Oil seepage from the valve cover or oil pan gaskets
- 94 Oil leak from manual transmission
- 95 Oil loss/smoking from 3.0 V-6
- 96 Oil in air filter area or in air intake
- 97 Noise happens on left hand turns and some bumps
- 98 Dakota creak
- 99 2.5 liter knock/idle
- 100 Snapping noise on start/stop
- 101 Daytona rattle
- 102 Metallic banging during 2-1 downshift when stopping
- 103 Whining or whistling noises (most 89-94 FWD vehicles)
- 104 Rattle from back of car
- 105 Rattles from engine compartment
- 106 Misc rattles
- 107 Squeak on acceleration (from gas pedal)
- 108 Neon rear end noise
- 109 Doors make grinding noise when opening/closing
- 110 1996 minivan noises (comprehensive list)
- 111 1996 minivan sloshing gas tank
- 112 Grand Cherokee clunking noise
- 113 Clicking or snapping in the front end
- 114 Clunking
- 115 Knocking/metallic clanking
- 116 Drive belt squeal
- 117 Inexplicable chime
- 118 Temperature gauge swings
- 119 Heater problems:
- 120 Air blows through the wrong vents
- 121 Windshield washer nozzle freeze-up
- 122 Temperature gauge problems
- 123 Head gasket seems to need replacement / poor temp regulation
- 124 Air conditioner ineffective OR cycles too often
- 125 No heat
- 126 Other Troubleshooting / Quick Fixes
- 127 Fuel Leaks
- 128 Water leaks (Rampage, possibly other L bodies)
- 129 Loose steering
- 130 Doors freezing shut
- 131 A/C smell
- 132 Caravan/Voyager stuck doors:
- 133 Check Engine light goes on:
- 134 DING sound when hard cornering
- 135 Speedometer doesn't work
- 136 ABS jerky
- 137 Brake rotor warping
- 138 Smoky exhaust
- 139 Water leak in Shadow/Sundance hatch
- 140 Control/status panel acting funny
- 141 ABS note
- 142 Service engine light goes on.
- 143 Cruise control problems
- 144 Battery charging problems
- 145 Hatchback water leaks
- 146 Car / minivan will not start, CLICK!s instead
- 147 Spongy / mushy brakes
- 148 Squeal when a/c is on; adjusting belts
- 149 Weatherstrip repair
- 150 Preventing ABS problems
- 151 Jeep 4.0 noise
- 152 LH clunk
- 153 Stratus/Cirrus/Breeze wipers acting funny
- 154 Misc 4-speed automatic transmission problems
- 155 Shimmy under acceleration - 35-45 mph
- 156 Gas gauge acting funny
- 157 Backfiring
- 158 3.0 liter PREVENTION
- 159 CV boot replacement
- 160 Rear defroster activated by brake lights
- 161 Odd behavior when starting (e.g. wiper runs)
- 162 Fluid leaks (inside the car)