This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by famous and also anonymous cooks
1 c Soft bread crumbs
1/3 c Finely chopped onions
1 t Salt
1/8 t Pepper
1/4 c Milk
1 Egg, slightly beaten
1/2 lb Ground beef chuck
1/2 lb Lean ground pork
1/2 c Shredded Cheddar cheese
4 oz Mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 1/2 c Seasoned mashed potatoes,
Leftover, made freshly or
From: pk instant potatoes Paprika (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl combine bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, milk and egg; mix thoroughly using a rubber spatula.
2. Crumble the gound meats into the bread crumb mixture and gently mix until thoroughly combined.
3. In a shallow, heat-resistant, non-metallic baking dish shape about one-third of meat mixture into a 4x6-inch rectangle.
4. Sprinkle meat with 1/2 of shredded cheese. Arrange mushroom pieces over cheese, leaving about 1/2-inch border around edges. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Carefully shape the remaining meat mixture over cheese and mushrooms, carefully sealing the edges.
6. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 9 minutes or until almost done.
7. With a spatula frost the meat loaf with mashed potatoes. completely covering the top and sides. If desired sprinkle with paprika.
8. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 3 minutes or until potatoes are hot and meat is completely cooked.
9. Allow to stand at room temperature 4 minutes before slicing. Variation: Peas, hard-cooked eggs, artichoke hearts, olives, pimientos or many other foods may be used in place of the mushrooms. Swiss, Muenster, Monterey Jack, Tilsit. mozzarella or any other cheese may be substituted for the Cheddar cheese.