This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by known and also anonymous authors
4 lg Globe artichokes
1 c Water
2 T Vinegar
1 T Whole pickling spices
1 c Prepared brown mustard
5/8 oz Pk Italian salad dressng mix
2 T Vinegar or dry white wine
dr (few) Tabasco sauce 1 t Worcestershire sauce
1. Wash artichokes carefully and drain. Slice off upper tip of each artichoke with a sharp knife. With kitchen shears, trim off the thorny ends of the leaves. The stems should be cut off even with the base of the artichoke.
2. Combine water, vinegar and pickling spices in a deep, 3-quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic casserole.
3. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.
4. Place artichokes upright in casserole.
5. Heat, covered, in Microwave Oven 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Cook until bases are tender when pierced with a fork and lower leaves pull away easily. Set aside.
7. In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients.
8. If desired, heat mustard sauce, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 1 1/2 minutes or until heated through.
9. Dip leaves into mustard sauce.
Tip: If desired, the leaves may be removed and arranged on a platter before serving. The fuzzy choke should be removed and the heart of the artichoke cut for serving.