Generic Name : SILVER SULFADIAZINE
Pronunciation : (sil' ver sul fa dye' a zeen)
Trade Name(s) : SSZ aplicaps
Why it is prescribed: Silver sulfadiazine is used to prevent and treat infections of second-and third-degree burns. It kills a wide variety of bacteria.
When it is to be taken: Silver sulfadiazine usually is applied once or twice a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand.
How it should be taken: Silver sulfadiazine comes in the form of cream. Always wear a sterile, disposable glove when you apply it. Cover the cleaned burned area with a 1/16-inch thickness of cream. Keep the burned area covered with cream at all times; reapply the cream to any area that becomes uncovered.
Special Instruction :
1. Do not stop using silver sulfadiazine until your doctor tells you to do so.
2. Your burn must be sufficiently healed so that infection is not longer a problem.
3. Gently wash the burned skin area daily to help remove dead skin.
4. If your burn becomes infected or if your infection worsens, contact your doctor.
Side Effects :
1. Pain, burning, itching. If these effects are severe, contact your doctor.
2. Skin rash. Contact your doctor.
3. Unusual bleeding or bruising, fever, sore throat, yellowing of skin or eyes, blood in urine, aching joints, unusual weakness or tiredness. Contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you use silver sulfadiazine, tell your doctor if you ever had an allergica reaction to any sulfa drug and if you have liver or kidney disease.
2. Before you use silver silfadiazine, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or think that you may be pregnant.
3. Do not apply it to infants less than two months of age.
4. Do not allow anyone else to use this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature.
3. If the cream darkens, discard it and obtain a fresh supply.