Generic Name : NEOMYCIN TOPICAL
Pronunciation : (nee oh mye' sin)
Trade Name(s) : Neomycin sulphate, Nepodex eye/ear, Nebasulf, Polybiotic cream.
Why it is prescribed: Neomycin, an antibiotic, is used to prevent or treat skin infections caused by bacteria. It is not effective against fungal or viral infections.
When it is to be taken: Neomycin is usually used one to three times a day. Follow the instructions on the label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand. If your infection persists or worsens, contact your doctor.
How it should be taken: Neomycin comes in the form of cream and ointment that is applied to the skin. Wash the affected skin area thoroughly. Then gently apply a small amount of cream or ointment. You may cover the area with sterile gauze dressing.
Special Instruction :
1. If you obtained this medication without a prescription, do not use it for more than seven days.
2. Do not apply neomycin to a child's diaper area, especially if the skin is raw, unless directed to do so by a doctor. If you are directed to apply neomycin to a child's diaper area, do not use tightly fitting diapers or plastic pants. They can increase the absorption of the drug and cause harmful effects.
3.If you forget to apply a dose, apply it as soon as you remember and resume your regular schedule. However, if it is near the time for your next scheduled application, omit the missed dose completely and apply only the scheduled dose. Do not apply a double dose.
Side Effects : Irritation, burning, redness, rash, itching. Contact your doctor. Hearing difficulty, decreased urination. Stop using neomycin and contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Apply only small amounts of neomycin to cuts, burns, sores, and wounds and do not apply it more frequently than as directed.
2. Neomycin can be absorbed into the body through broken skin and cause kidney problems and hearing difficulty.
3. If you have kidney disease, ask your doctor for advice on treating your skin infection.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep the container tightly closed and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature and away from light.
3. Neomycin may become discolored, but this change does not affect its action.