Generic Name : MUPIROCIN
Pronunciation : (myoo peer' oh sin)
Trade Name(s) : Bactroban, Mupirax, Supirocin, T-bact,
Why it is prescribed: Mupirocin, an antibiotic, is used to treat impetigo as well as other skin infections caused by bacteria. It is not effective against fungal or viral infections.
When it is to be taken: Mupriocin usually is applied three times a day for one to two weeks. Follow the instructions on your prescription label, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand.
How it should be taken: Mupirocin comes in an ointment that is applied to the skin. Wash the affected skin area thoroughly, and then gently apply a small amount of the ointment as a thin film. You may cover the area with a sterile gauze dressing. Do not apply mupirocin more frequently or for a longer period than as directed.
Special Instruction :
1. Do not apply mupirocin to your eyes.
2. Do not apply mupirocin to burns unless directed to do so by your doctor.
3. Increased absorption of one ingredient of this ointment could occur and cause harmful effects.
4. Do not apply cosmetics, lotions or other skin preparations to the treated area unless your doctor specifically tells you that you may.
5. If your infection does not improve within three to five days, contact your doctor.
6. It is important to apply all doses of this medication regularly, especially during the first few days of treatment, so that bacteria do not become resistant to mupirocin.
7. Try to apply mupirocin ointment at the same time that you do some other regular activity such as eating a meal.
Side Effects : Burning, stinging, pain, itching, rash. These effects are usually mild and temporary. If they are severe or persist, contact your doctor.
Other Precautions :
1. Tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially chloramphenicol.
2. Before using mupirocin, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease.
3. Women who are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding should inform their doctors.
4. Discard any unused medciation after your treatment course is completed. Do not use this drug for other skin problems.
Storage Conditions : Store mupirocin at room temperature and out of the reach of children.