Generic Name : METHOTREXATE
Pronunciation : (meth oh trex' ate)
Trade Name(s) : Biotrexate, Cytotrex, Methotrexate, Metotren INJ, Mexate, MTX - Korea, Neotrexate, Oncotrex, Tevatrex, Tevatrex, Trixilem, Zexate
Why it is prescribed: Methotrexate is used alone or in combination with chemotherapies, surgery or radiation for treatment of cancers, lymphomas, leukemias, rheumatoid arthritis, and severe psoriasis.
When it is to be taken: Methotrexate is usually taken along with NSAIDs. It may begin to work as early as three to six weeks after beginning treatment. Effectiveness of treatment can be seen in improvement of blood markers in leukemia, decrease in size and spread of lymphomas and other solid cancers, resolution of skin lesions in severe psoriasis, decreased joint pain and swelling, and improved mobility if you are being treated for rheumatoid arthritis.
How it should be taken: It is available as yellow tablets of 2.5mg and 10mg. Treatment is by mouth, intramuscular or intravenous injection, or injection into the spine. Dosage depends on the condition being treated.
Special Instruction :
1. Do not drink alcoholic beverages or take drugs containing aspirin.
2. Avoid use of over-the-counter drugs without first consulting with your doctor.
3. Contraception should be practiced during and for at least 8 weeks after completion of therapy.
4. It is important to take your capsules at the right times. You must take them as directed by your doctor.
Side Effects :
1. Treatment with methotrexate, as with other chemotherapy agents, can have many side effects such as upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, liver toxicity, anemia, leukopenia, and thrombocytopenia.
2. Some drugs, such as anti-inflammatory agents and acyclovir, can increase the toxicity of methotrexate.
Other Precautions :
1. It is important to take your capsules at the right times. You must take them as directed by your doctor.
2. If your doctor decides to stop the treatment, return any remaining capsules to the pharmacist. Do not flush them down the toilet or throw them away.
3. If you are sick just after taking the tablet let your doctor know as you may need to take another one. Do not take another tablet without first informing your doctor.
4. If you forget to take a tablet do not take a double dose. Let your doctor know and keep to your regular dose schedule.
Storage Conditions : Keep the capsules in a safe place where children cannot reach them, as methotrexate could harm them.