Generic Name : LOPERAMIDE
Pronunciation : (loe per' a mide)
Trade Name(s) : Andial ,Diarlop, Eldoper, Imudium, Lopamide, Loperamide, Pelopem, Pelope
Why it is prescribed: Loperamide is used to control diarrhoea.
When it is to be taken: Loperamide usually is taken immediately after each loose bowel movement. It sometimes is taken on a schedule one or more times a day for chronic diarrhoea.
How it should be taken: Loperamide comes in the form of capsules and oral liquid and is available without a prescription. The label tells you how much to take at each dose. Do not take loperamide more often and do not take more of it at each dose than as directed on the label. You may obtain a specially marked measuring spoon to be sure of an accurate dose of the liquid.
Special Instruction :
1. If your symptoms do not improve within two days or if you develop a fever or bloody stools, contact your doctor.
2. Drink plenty of water or other beverages to replace fluids lost while having diarrhoea.
3. Loperamide can cause drowsiness and dizziness. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
4. If you are taking loperamide on a schedule for chronic diarrhoea and forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember and take any remaining doses for that day at evenly spaced intervals. However, if you are not having diarrhoea, omit the missed dose completely.
Side Effects :
1. Dry mouth. Suck sugarless hard candy and drink fluids.
2. Abdominal or stomach pain, discomfort, or distention; constipation; drowsiness; dizziness; fatigue; nausea; vomiting. Contact your doctor if these effects are severe or persist.
3. Skin rash. Contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. If you have a fever, bloodystools, liver disease, colitis, or an infection or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, consult your doctor before taking loperamide.
2. Do not give loperamide to a child younger than six years of age unless directed to do so by a doctor.
Storage Conditions : Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature.