Generic Name : VINBLASTINE
Pronunciation : (vin blas' teen)
Trade Name(s) : Cytoblastin
Why it is prescribed: It is an alkaloid based anticancer drug obtained from the periwinkle plant. Vinblastine belongs to the group of medicines known as antineoplastic agents. It is used to treat certain kinds of cancer, including lymphoma and cancer of the breast or testicles, as well as some noncancerous conditions.
When it is to be taken: Vinblastine interferes with the growth of cancer cells, which are eventually destroyed. The purpose of chemotherapy is to control your illness so that your own body can aid in your recovery. It is important to build up your body's defense system, and a balanced diet is needed to build a healthy body. Ask your doctor for advice on your diet.
How it should be taken: Vinblastine is to be administered only by or under the immediate supervision of your doctor. It is available in the form of parenteral injection. The dose of vinblastine will be different for different patients. The dose that is used may depend on a number of things, including what the medicine is being used for, the patient's weight or size, and whether or not other medicines are also being taken. If you are receiving vinblastine at home, follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label . If you have any questions about the proper dose of vinblastine, ask your doctor.
Special Instruction :
1. Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to vinblastine.
2. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you intend to have children. This medicine may cause birth defects if either the male or female is taking it at the time of conception or if it is taken during pregnancy. In addition, many cancer medicines may cause sterility which could be permanent. Although sterility has not been reported with this medicine, vinblastine may interfere with production of sperm and the possibility should be kept in mind.
3. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding or if you intend to breast-feed during treatment with this medicine. Because vinblastine may cause serious side effects, breast-feeding is generally not recommended while you are receiving it.
Side Effects :
1. Vinblastine can sometimes cause unwanted effects such as blood problems, loss of hair, and other side effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
2. Cough or hoarseness accompanied by fever or chills; fever or chills; lower back or side pain accompanied by fever or chills; painful or difficult urination accompanied by fever or chills.
3. Blood in urine or stools; pain or redness at place of injection; pinpoint red spots on skin; unusual bleeding or bruising.
4. Black, tarry stools.
Other Precautions :
1. It is very important that your doctor check your progress at regular visits to make sure that this medicine is working properly and to check for unwanted effects.
2. While you are being treated with vinblastine, and after you stop treatment with it, do not have any vaccinations without your doctor's approval.
3. If you can, avoid people with infections. Check with your doctor immediately if you think you are getting an infection or if you get a fever or chills, cough or hoarseness, lower back or side pain, or painful or difficult urination.
4. Check with your doctor immediately if you notice any unusual bleeding or bruising; black, tarry stools; blood in urine or stools; or pinpoint red spots on your skin.
5. Be careful when using a regular toothbrush, dental floss, or toothpick. Your medical doctor, dentist, or nurse may recommend other ways to clean your teeth and gums. Check with your medical doctor before having any dental work done.
6. Do not touch your eyes or the inside of your nose unless you have just washed your hands and have not touched anything else in the meantime.
7. Be careful not to cut yourself when you are using sharp objects such as a safety razor or fingernail or toenail cutters.
8. Avoid contact sports or other situations where bruising or injury could occur.
Storage Conditions : Refrigerate between 36 and 46 F (between 2.2 and 7.8 degrees C). This drug may be stored for 30 days after the first withdrawal.