Generic Name : TEMAZEPAM
Pronunciation : (te maz' e pam)
Trade Name(s) : Sedamon, Hypnotex, Nirven
Why it is prescribed: Temazepam is used on a short-term basis to treat insomnia - to help you fall asleep and stay asleep through the night.
When it is to be taken: Temazepam is taken at bedtime when needed. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand. Do not take temazepam for more than five weeks without consulting your doctor.
How it should be taken: Temazepam comes in capsules. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Temazepam may make you dizzy. Therefore, stay in bed after taking the dose. Drowsiness and dizziness may persist until the next day, and your coordination and alertness may be decreased. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
2. Because temazepam can be habit-forming, do not take more of it or take it for a longer time than as directed.
3. If you accidentally take too much, contact your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital emergency department.
4. If you have been taking temazepam for a long time, you may have withdrawal symptoms when you stop. Contact your doctor if you experience sweating, vomiting, diarrhea, irritability, tremors, muscle and abdominal cramps, hallucinations, and seizures.
5. Keep all appointments with your doctor.
Side Effects :
1. Drowsiness during the day, dizziness, weakness, confusion, muscle incoordinatin, fatigue, faintness. Contact your doctor if these effects persist for more than a few days.
2. Talkativemess, restlessness, anxiety, excitement, trembling, muscle spasms, nightmares. Stop taking the drug and contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Women who are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, think they may be pregnant, or are breast-feeding should inform their doctors.
2. If you become pregnant while taking temazepam, contact your doctor immediately. Before you take this drug, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially digoxin, levodopa, seizure medication, prescription pain medication, medication for depression, barbiturates, tranquilizers, sedatives, antihistamines, and medication for allergies and colds.
3. Do not take other sleeping pills. Do not drink alcoholic beverages. Alcohol adds to the drowsiness and dizziness caused by this drug.
4. Do not smoke while taking temazepam. Smoking can decrease its effectiveness.
5. If you have liver or kidney disease, tell your doctor before taking temazepam.
6. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature.