Generic Name : PROPYLTHIOURACIL
Pronunciation : (proe pill thye oh yoor' a sill)
Trade Name(s) : Mercazole, Thyrozole
Why it is prescribed: Propylthiouracil is used to treat hyperthyroidism, a condition that occurs when the thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. It also is taken before thyroid surgery.
When it is to be taken: Propylthiouracil usually is taken three times a day, approximately every eight hours. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand. To be effective, propylthiouracil must be taken regularly at evenly spaced intervals around the clock.
How it should be taken: Propylthiouracil comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor so that your response to the drug can be evaluated. Your dose may need to be adjusted.
2. Do not take more or less propylthiouracil and do not take it more or less often or for a longer period than as directed.
3. Do not stop taking this drug without consulting your doctor.
4. If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember and take any remaining doses for that day at evenly spaced intervals.
Side Effects :
1. Skin rash, itching. If the rash lasts for more than a few days or covers a lot of your body, contact your doctor.
2. Abnormal hair loss, nausea, vomiting, loss of taste, joint and muscle pain, headaches, abnormal sensations. If these effects persist or become severe, contact your doctor.
3. Sore throat, unusual bleeding or bruising, fever, chills, yellowing of skin and eyes. Contact your doctor at once.
Other Precautions :
1. Propylthiouracil may affect the way your body responds to other drugs. Before you take it, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially anticoagulants.
2. Before you take propylthiouracil, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding or if you have blood disease.
3. Before you have emergency treatment or surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor that you take propylthiouracil.
4. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature.