Generic Name : PAREGORIC
Pronunciation : (par e gor' ik)
Trade Name(s) :
Why it is prescribed: Paregoric is used to relieve diarrhea. It decreases stomach and intestinal movement and fluids in the digestive system.
When it is to be taken: This medication usually is taken one to four times a day or immediately after each loose bowel movement. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand. The number of doses taken in one day is usually limited to six. Do not take doses more often than as instructed on your prescription label.
How it should be taken: Paregoric comes in an oral liquid. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. Your prescription may be mixed with water before you take it; the water should turn cloudy white. If you have taken this medication for a long period under a doctor's care, do not stop taking it suddenly. Your doctor may want to reduce your dose gradually.
Special Instruction :
1. Do not take this medication for more than two days. If your diarrhea continues, contact your doctor.
2. If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if you remember a missed dose at the time you are to take the next one, take only the regularly scheduled dose. Do not take two doses at one time.
Side Effects :
1. Constipation. This effect occurs when too much of the drug has been taken or when it has been take for too long. Take only the amount prescribed by your doctor.
2. Upset stomach. Take the medication with food or milk.
Other Precautions :
1. Paregoric may affect some medical problems. Tell your doctor if you have asthma, an enlarged prostate, liver disease, or lung disease.
2. Do not take sleeping pills, tranquilizers, or muscle relaxants while using this drug. If you must take them, consult your doctor before you begin to take paregoric.
3. Tell your doctor if you are taking allergy or cold medication, antihistamines, or medication for depression, pain, or seizures.
4. Alcoholic beverages may add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
5. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it in a cool place out of direct sunlight.