Generic Name : OMEPRAZOLE
Pronunciation : (oh me' pray zol)
Trade Name(s) : Biocid, Coszol, Coszol-10, Cozep, Lokit, Lomac, Loress, Menzol-20, Metaloc, Nilsec, Ocid, Olit, Omecid, Omegord, Omepral, Omepraz, Omepren, Omez, Omezol, Omicap, Omind, Omizac, Omlink, Onocid, Opaz, Promisec, Protoloc, Protocid, Resec, Romesec, Siozole, Ulzol, Wincid, Zepep, Zolcer, Acichek
Why it is prescribed: Omeprazole decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach. It is used to treat some conditions in which the stomach produces too much acid.
When it is to be taken: Omeprazole is usually taken once a day, before a meal. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand.
How it should be taken: Omeprazole comes in the form of capsules. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. Do not open, crush, break, or chew the capsules. Swallow them whole.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor so that your response to this medication can be checked.
2. Do not smoke while taking omeprazole. Smoking can decrease its effectiveness.
3.If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, take only the scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Side Effects : Headache, diarrhea or constipation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, cough, cold symptoms, dizziness, rash. If these problems are severe or persist, contact your doctor.
Other Precautions :
1. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should inform their doctors before taking omeprazole.
2. Before taking omeprazole, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially diazepam, warfarin, phenytoin, ketoconazole, ampicillin, and iron.
3. Tell your doctor if you have liver disease.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature, away from heat and light.