Generic Name : NAFTIFINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Pronunciation : (naf' ti feen)
Trade Name(s) :
Why it is prescribed: Naftifine, an antifungal drug, is used to treat jock itch and other fungal infections of the skin. It also has been used to treat fungal infections of the hands, feet (athlete's foot), fingernails, toenails, and scalp.
When it is to be taken:
1. Naftifine usually is used twice a day, in the morning and evening.
2. Follow the instruciton on your prescription label, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand.
3. Use naftifine for as long as directed, even after your symptoms improve. If your doctor provided no directions, use it for one to two weeks after your symptoms disappear.
4. Stopping the treatment early can allow the infection to return.
5. Jock itch and most other skin infections may require up to four weeks and athlete's foot may take up to six weeks to heal completely.
6. Contact your doctor if you have finished the full treatment and still have symptoms.
How it should be taken: Naftifine comes as a cream. Rub a sufficient amount gently into the infected area and surrounding skin. Do not cover the area with a bandage or other dressing unless instructed to do so by your doctor. Keep the cream away from your eyes, nostrils, and mouth. Wash your hands after applying the cream.
Special Instruction :
1. Good health habits can help cure a fungal infection and prevent its return.
2. Wash all towels and clothing each day after they have touched the infected area.
3. If you have athlete's foot, wear clean white cotton socks rather than colored socks.
4. Keep all appointments with your doctor. Naftifine must be used regularly to be effective.
5. Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember it.
Side Effects : Burning, stinging, dryness, redness, itching, and irritation of the skin. These effects usually are mild and do not last long. Contact your doctor if they persist or are severe.
Other Precautions :
1. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should inform their doctors before using naftifine or any other drug. It is not known if naftifine passes from a mother to her unborn or breast-fed baby.
2. Do not allow anyone else to use your naftifine.
Storage Conditions : Keep naftifine out of the reach of children.