Generic Name : METRONIDAZOLE TOPICAL
Pronunciation : (me troe ni' da zole)
Trade Name(s) : Metrogyl IV
Why it is prescribed: Metronidazole is used to treat acne, a chronic condition in which the facial skin is inflamed and sores develop. Metronidazole decreases the redness and number of sores but may not be a cure.
When it is to be taken:
1. Metronidazole usually is used twice a day, in the morning and evening.
2. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand.
3. Your symptoms probably will improve within three weeks and continue to improve over the following six weeks or more.
4. Do not stop using metronidazole without consulting your doctor. Your symptoms may worsen when you stop the drug. Metronidazole is most effective when used regularly.
5. Try to apply it at the same time you do some other regular activity such as brushing your teeth in the morning and at bedtime.
How it should be taken: Metronidazole comes as a gel to be applied to your skin. Wash the affected area with mild soap and 15 to 20 minutes before applying the medication. Apply a thin layer of gel and rub it gently into the affected area. Do not allow the gel to contact your eyes. You may then apply a moisturizer. Ask your doctor for advice on what cosmetics to use.
Special Instruction :
1. Do not use Metronidazole more often than as instructed. Contact your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they worsen.
2. Your doctor may advise you to stay out of the sun and wind and to avoid exposure to extreme heat and cold if they aggravate your symptoms.
3. Follow your doctor's advice. Your doctor may recommend that you avoid hot liquids, spicy food, alcohol, and certain other foods and beverages if they make your symptoms worse. Follow your doctor's dietary advice.
4. Apply it as soon as you remember but do not apply a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
Side Effects :
1. Increased skin redness, dryness, burning, irritation, stinging. Contact your doctor if these symptoms persist.
2. You may have to stop using metronidazole temporarily or use it less frequently.
3. Watery, tearing eyes. Keep metronidazole away from your eyes.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you use metronidazole, tell your doctor if you ever had a blood disease or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
2. Before you use this drug, tell your doctor if you ever had a blood disease or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
3. Before you use this drug, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially anticoagulants.
4. Do not allow anyone else to use your medication. Another person's skin condition may be very different from yours.
Storage Conditions : Store metronidazole gel at room temperature and out of the reach of children.