Generic Name : METHOCARBAMOL
Pronunciation : (meth oh kar' ba mole)
Trade Name(s) : Robinax
Why it is prescribed: Methocarbamol is a muscle relaxant. It is used along with rest, physical therapy, pain medication, and other measures to relieve muscle pain and discomfort caused by strains, sprains, and injuries.
When it is to be taken: Methocarbamol usually is taken four times a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully.
How it should be taken: Methocarbamol comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription labels tells you how much to take at each dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Methocarbamol can decrease alertness and physical coordination. Do not drive a care or operate dangerous machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
2. If Methocarbamol does not relieve your pain and discomfort, contact your doctor.
3. Do not increase your dose unless your doctor specifically tells you to do so.
4. If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However if you remember a missed dose at the time you are scheduled to take the next dose, take only the regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose.
Side Effects :
1. Drowsiness, lightheadedness, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, loss of appetite, headache, fever. Contact your doctor if these effects persists or are severe.
2. Allergic reaction: skin rash; itching; red, irritated eyes; stuffy nose. Stop taking the medication and contact your doctor immediately.
3. Brown, black, blue, or green-colored urine. This effect is harmless.
Other Precautions :
1. Women who are pregnant or may become pregnant or breast-feeding should tell their doctors before taking methocarbamol.
2. Before you take methocarbamol, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially antihistamines, sedatives, tranquilizers, narcotics, sleeping pills, and medication for seizures, depression, allergies, hay fever, or colds.
3. Do not start taking any of these drugs without consulting your doctor.
4. Do not drink alcoholic beverages. Alcohol adds to the drowsiness, dizziness, and lightheadedness caused by the drug.
5. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions : Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature.