Generic Name : LISINOPRIL
Pronunciation : (lyse in' oh pril)
Trade Name(s) : Acebitor, Acetitor, Acinopril, Biopril, Cipril, Dilace, Hipril, Ilis, Inras, Lesopril, Linvas, Lipril, Lisicard, Lisinace, Lisir-5/10, Lislo, Lisoril, Listril, LPL, Nivant, Odace ,Prevace, Zestril
Why it is prescribed: Lisinopril is used to treat high blood pressure. It decreses certain chemicals that constrict the blood vessels so that blood flows more smoothly.
When it is to be taken: Lisinopril is usually taken once a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. Lisinopril controls high blood pressure but does not cure it. Therefore, it is important you take it regularly. Try to take it at the same time that you do something else each day such as brushing your teeth in the morning, eating dinner, or going to bed at night.
How it should be taken: Lisinopril comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your blood pressure should be checked regularly to determine your response to lisinopril.
2. Consult your doctor before using salt substitutes containing potassium. If your doctor prescribed a low-salt or low-sodium diet, follow these instructions carefully.
3. Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if you remember a missed dose near the time you are to take the nextdose, take only the regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose.
Side Effects :
1. Headache, fatigue, cough. If these effects persist or severe, contact your doctor.
2. Nausea. Take lisinopril with food or milk.
3. Dizziness or lightheadedness, especially when getting out of bed or rising from a chair. Get up slowly. Contact your doctor if symptom persists or is severe.
4. Excessive sweating, vomiting, diarrhoea, dehydration, sore throat, fever, unusual bruising, fast heartbeat. Contact your doctor.
5. Swelling of the face, eyes, lips, arms, or legs; difficulty swallowing or breathing; fainting. Stop taking lisinopril and contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription medicationss you are taking, especially diuretics, potassium supplements, other medication for high blood pressure, and lithium.
2. Before taking lisinopril, tell your doctor if you have heart or kidney disease or diabetes.
3. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should inform their doctors. 4. Before having surgery with a general anesthetic, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking lisinopril.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature and protect it from moisture.