Generic Name : LEVODOPA and CARBIDOPA
Pronunciation : (lee voe doe' pa) (kar bi doe' pa)
Trade Name(s) : LCD, LCD CR, Parkimet ,Syndopa 110, Syndopa-275, Syndopa CR, Tidomet forte ,Tidomet LS, Tidomet plus
Why it is prescribed: The combination of Levodopa and carbidopa relieves some symptoms of Parkinson's disease, including tremors, stiffness, and slowness of movement. It also may improve your gait, posture, swallowing, speech, handwriting, vigor, alertness, and sense of well-being and may control excess salivation and seborrhoea (oily, crusty, scaly skin).
When it is to be taken: Levodopa with carbidopa is usually taken three or four times a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. If you are switching from Levodopa to the combination of levodopa and carbidopa, wait at least eight hours after your last dose of levodopa to take your first dose of this combination drug. You may have to take this medication for several months before you feel its full effects.
How it should be taken: Levodopa with carbidopa comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. Your doctor may instruct you to take a small amount at first and then to increase your dose gradually to allow your body to adjust to this drug.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory so that your doctor can monitor your response to this drug. Your dose may need to be adjusted frequently, especially when you first take Levodopa and carbidopa.
2. You probably will have periodic blood and urine tests to check how the drug is affecting you.
3. Take Levodopa and carbidopa exactly as your doctor has directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more or less often than as instructed.
4. Be sure that you have enough medication on hand at all times.
5. Contact your doctor if your Parkinson's disease symptoms (shaking, stiffness, and slowness of movement) worsen or vary in severity.
6. As your condition improves and it is easier for you to move, be careful not to overdo physical activities.
7. Increase your activity gradually to avoid falls and injuries.
8.if you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as as you remember it and take any remaining dose for that day at evenly spaced intervals. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
Side Effects :
1. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite. Take Levodopa and carbidopa with food. If these problems persist or severe, contact your doctor.
2. Decreased attention span, memory loss, nervousness, nightmares, insomnia, headaches, weakness, dark-coloured sweat, increased sweating, fatigue. If these effects are bothersome, contact your doctor.
3. Dizziness, lighteadedness, and faintness when arising from a sitting or lying position. Get up slowly. Contact your doctor if these effects persist.
4. Abnormal and uncontrolled movements of the mouth, tongue, face, head, neck, arms, and legs; difficulty walking, especially starting to walk; increased shaking of the hands; back and neck muscle spasms; palpitations; rapid heartbeat. Contact your doctor.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you take Levodopa and carbidopa, tell your doctor your entire medical history, especially if you have asthma; emphysema; lung, kidney, liver, heart, or blood vessel disease; hormone problems; diabetes; glaucoma; or a history of ulcers, heart attacks, or seizures.
2. Before you take Levodopa and carbidopa, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Before you take Levodopa and carbidopa, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially MAO (monoaminooxidase) inhibitors like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, and tranycypromine, even if you stopped taking them in the last two qeeks; tranquilizers; vitamin preparation, especially vitamin B6; papaverine; and phenytoin.
3. Before having surgery, including dental surgery, tell your doctor that you take Levodopa and carbidopa.
4. This medication can cause false results in urine tests for sugar and ketones.
5. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature, away from direct sunlight and excess heat and moisture.