Generic Name : ISOPROTERENOL INHALATION
Pronunciation : (eye soe proe ter' e nole)
Trade Name(s) :
Why it is prescribed: Isoproterenol, a bronchodilator, relaxes and opens the air passages to the lungs, making it easier to breathe. It is used to relieve asthma attacks and breathing problems caused by emphysema, bronchitis, and other lung diseases.
When it is to be taken: Isoproterenol is usually used every three or four hours, four to six times a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. Isoproterenol begins to work immediately and goes on working for one hour.
How it should be taken: How it should be taken: Isoproterenol comes as an aerosol for oral inhalation with a special inhaler. Your prescription label tells you how many inhalations to take at each dose, usually one or two. To use the inhaler, follow the instructions that come with it and these steps:
1. Shake the inhaler well.
2. Exhale i.e., breathe out as completely as possible through your nose while keeping your mouth shut.
3. Place the mouthpiece well into your mouth, past your front teeth. Close your lips tightly around the mouthpiece.
4. Take a slow, deep breath through the mouthpiece and, the same time, press down on the container to spray the medication into your mouth. Be sure that the mist goes into your throat and is not blocked by your teeth or tongue. Adults giving the treatment to a young child may hold the child's nose closed to be sure that the medication goes into the child's throat.
5. Hold your breath for several seconds, remove the inhaler from your mouth, and exhale slowly through your nose or mouth.
6. If you are to take two inhalations, wait at least one minute and shake the inhaler well before taking the second inhalation.
7. If you have difficulty getting the medication into your lungs, a spacer may help; ask your doctor. If you have used the inhaler as directed and still cannot breathe freely, contact your doctor.
Special Instruction :
1. Rinse the mouthpiece with warm water once a day. If this medication loses its effectiveness or if your condition worsens, stop using isoproterenol and contact your doctor immediately.
2. Do not use the inhaler more often or take more inhalations at each dose than as directed.
3. Increasing your dose can be dangerous and can decrease the drug's effectiveness.
4. If your sputum thickens or changes color from clear white to yellow, green, or gray, contact your doctor; these changes may be signs of an infection.
Side Effects :
1. Pink-colored saliva and sputum. This effect is harmless.
2. Dry mouth and throat. Rinse your mouth with water after each treatment.
3. Irritated air passages, nervousness, restlessness, insomnia, anxiety, fear, tension, excitement contact your doctor if these are severe or persist.
4. Increased difficulty breathing; fast heartbeat; palpitations; red, itchy, clammy skin; wheezing; shortness of breath; faintness. Stop using isoproterenol and contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you use isoproterenol, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding or if you have kidney or heart disease, high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid gland, or diabetes.
2. Isoproterenol can affect the way your body responds to certain drugs. Before using isoproterenol, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially ergotamine and medictions for asthma, high blood pressure, or heart disease.
3. Before using isoproterenol, tell your doctor if you ever had a bad reaction to albuterol, ephedrine, epinephrine, isoetharine, metaproterenol, phenylephrine, phenylpropanolamine, pseudoephedrine, or terbutaline.
4. Many nonprescription medications contain these drugs e.g., diet pills and medication s for colds or asthma, so check the labels carefully.
5. Do not take nay of these drugs without consulting your doctor. If your doctor directs you to take any of them, do not take them within four hours of taking isoproterenol.
6. Before having surgery with a general anesthetic, tell the doctor that you use isoproterenol.
7. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature, away from excess heat.
3. Avoid puncturing the aerosol container.