Generic Name : HYDROXYZINE
Pronunciation : (hye drox' i zeen)
Trade Name(s) : Atarax, Atarax INJ
Why it is prescribed: Hydroxyzine is used to calm people who are anxious or tense because of a nervous or emotional condition. It also relieves itching caused by allergies and controls nausea and vomiting caused by various conditions, including motion sickness.
When it is to be taken: Hydroxyzine usually is taken three or four times a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully.
How it should be taken: Hydroxyzine comes in the form of capsules, tablets, and oral liquid i.e., syrup and suspension. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. You may obtain a specially marked measuring spoon to be sure of an accurate dose of the liquid. Shake the suspension well before each use to mix the medication evenly.
Special Instruction :
1. Hydroxyzine can decrease mental alertness and physical coordination. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
2. If you forget to take a dose, omit the missed dose completely. Take the next dose at the regularly scheduled time.
Side Effects :
1. Dry mouth, bitter taste. Drink extra fluids, chew sugarless gum, or suck ice or sugarless hard candies.
2. Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, muscle incoordination, slurred speech, headache, increased anxiety, reddening of skin. Contact your doctor if these effects persist.
3. Wheezing, chest tightness. Contact your doctor.
Other Precautions :
1. Do not drink alcoholic beverages. Alcohol adds to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
2. Before you take hydroxyzine, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially sleeping pills, sedatives, tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, medication for depression or seizures, pain medication, antihistamines, and medication for colds, allergies, or hay fever.
3. Before you take hydroxyzine, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding or if you have asthma, glaucoma, ulcers, difficulty urinating, heart disease, high blood pressure, seizures, or an overactive thyroid gland.
4. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions : Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature.