Generic Name : HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE
Pronunciation : (hye droe klor oh thye' a zide)
Trade Name(s) : Cardace H2.5
Why it is prescribed: Hydrochlorothiazide, a water pill, is used to treat high blood pressure and fluid retention caused by various conditions, including heart disease. It causes the kidneys to eliminate unneeded water and salt from the body into the urine.
When it is to be taken: Hydrochlorothiazide is usually taken one to three times a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. If you are to take hydrochlorothiazide once a day, take it in the morning. If you are to take it more than once a day, take the last dose in the middle of the afternoon so that you will not have to go to the bathroom during the night.
How it should be taken: Hydrochlorothiazide comes in the form of tablets and oral liquid. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. Take this medication with meals or a snack. You may obtain a specially marked measuring spoon to be sure of an accurate dose of the liquid.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor. Your blood pressure should be checked regularly, and blood tests should be done occasionally.
2. Do not stop taking hydrochlorothiazide without consulting your doctor. 3. Follow your doctor's dietary recommendations such as a low-salt or low-sodium diet, potassium supplements, and potassium-rich foods in your diet. 4. If you forget to take a dose, do not take the missed dose when you remember it. Take only your regular dose at the next scheduled time.
Side Effects :
1. Frequent urination. This problem should disappear after you take this drug for a few weeks.
2. Muscle weakness, cramps, thirst. Be sure that you are taking your potassium supplement correctly, if prescribed. Contact your doctor if these effects persist.
3. Sore throat, easy bruising, skin rash. Consult your doctor immediately. 4. Dizziness, lightheadedness. Try arising slowly from a sitting or lying position.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you take this medication, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, diabetes, gout, or an allergy to sulfa drugs.
2. Inform your doctor if you develop severe vomiting or diarrhea while taking this medication.
3. Alcohol and sleep aids may increase the effects of hydrochlorothiazide, causing dizziness or lightheadedness. Ask your doctor for advice about the safe use of alcohol and other medications.
4. Before you take hydrochlorothiazide, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially lithium, probenecid, medication for arthritis, sleeping pills, and other medication for high pressure.
5. If you are taking cholestyramine, take it at least one hour after hydrochlorothiazide.
6. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, contact your doctor immediately.
7. Before having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor about your blood pressure medications.
8. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions : Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.