Generic Name : HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE and SPIRONOLACTONE
Pronunciation : (hye droe klor oh thye' a zide) (speer on oh lak' tone)
Trade Name(s) : Esidrex.
Why it is prescribed: The combination of hydrochlorothiazide and spironolactone is used to treat high blood pressure and water retention caused by conditions such as heart and liver disease. This medication causes the kidneys to eliminate unneeded water and salt from the body into the urine.
When it is to be taken: This combination is usually taken once or twice a day. If you are to take it once a day, take it in the morning; if you are to take it twice a day, take it in the morning and in the late afternoon to avoid going to the bathroom at night. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully.
How it should be taken: This combination comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription label tell you how much to take at each dose. Take this medication right after meals or with a snack.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor. Your blood pressure should be checked regularly, and blood test may also be done occasionally.
2. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
3. If you forget to take a dose, do not take the missed dose when you remember it. Omit it and take your regular dose at the next scheduled time.
Side Effects :
1. Frequent urination. This problem should disappear after you take this drug for a few weeks.
2. Muscle weakness or cramps, fatigue, palpitations. Contact your doctor immediately.
3. Fever and sore throat, unusual bruising, skin rash. Contact your doctor immediately.
4. Decreased sexual ability, increased breast size, breast soreness. Contact your doctor; your medication may have to be changed.
Other Precautions :
1. Before your take this medication, tell your doctor if you have diabetes, gout, kidney or liver problems, or an allergy to sulfa drugs.
2. Aspirin sleep aids, and other medications may affect the action of this combination.
3. Tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially lithium, probenecid, and medication for arthritis or pain.
4. If you are taking cholestyramine, take it at least one hour after this medication.
5. Alcohol can add to the blood pressure lowering effects of this medication.
6. Ask your doctor for advice about the safe use of alcohol.
7. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding a baby, tell your doctor before you take this medication.
8. Before having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor about your blood pressure medications.
9. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions : Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.