Generic Name : FLUOROURACIL
Pronunciation : (flure oh yoor' a sill)
Trade Name(s) : 5-Fluorouracil, 5-Fluro, 5-Fu-Korea, Fivoflu, Fludin INJ, Flurecil, Tevafluoro
Why it is prescribed: This drug will be injected into a vein. Fluorouracil resembles normal cell nutrients needed by cancer cells to grow, so the cancer cells take up fluorouracil by mistake. Once in these cells, fluorouracil interferes with the growth of the cancer cells. In addition to fluorouracil, your doctor may have ordered other cancer-fighting drugs; this treatment is called combination therapy. Your doctor may measure the effectiveness of your treatment using laboratory tests and physical examinations. In general, the length of treatment depends on the types of drugs you are taking, how well your body responds to them, and the type of cancer you have.
When it is to be taken: The purpose of chemotherapy is to control your illness so that your own body can aid in your recovery. It is important to build up your body's defense system, and a balanced diet is needed to build a healthy body. Ask your doctor for advice on your diet.
How it should be taken: It is available in the form of a clear fluid, capsules and a cream.It can be given into the vein as an injection or can be taken orally in the form of capsules.
Special Instruction :
1. It is important to take your capsules at the right times. You must take them as directed by your doctor.
2. If your doctor decides to stop the treatment, return any remaining capsules to the pharmacist. Do not flush them down the toilet or throw them away.
Side Effects :
1. Nausea, vomiting, mouth sores, ulcers, diarrhea, blurred vision, gritty eyes, skin changes and temporary reduction in bone marrow function are the possible common side effects.
2. Hair loss, rashes and sensitivity of the skin to sunlight are the less common side effects.
Other Precautions :
1. If you are sick just after taking the capsule let your doctor know as you may need to take another one. Do not take another capsule without first informing your doctor.
2. If you forget to take a capsule do not take a double dose. Let your doctor know and keep to your regular dose schedule.
3.Some other medicines can be harmful when you are having chemotherapy. Always tell your doctor about any other medicine you are taking.
Storage Conditions : Keep the capsules in a safe place where children cannot reach them, as fluorouracil could harm them.