Generic Name : ERGOTAMINE TARTRATE and CAFFEINE
Pronunciation : (er got' a meen) (kaf' een)
Trade Name(s) : Cafergot, Migranil, Migril, Vasograin
Why it is prescribed: The combination of ergotamine tartrate and caffeine prevents blood vessels in your head form expanding and causing migraine headaches.
When it is to be taken: For the best effect, take this medication at the first sign of a migraine headache. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully.
How it should be taken: The combination of ergotamine tartrate and caffeine comes in the form of tablets and rectal suppositories. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. The directions below are examples of common instructions.
For tablets containing 1 mg ergotamine tartrate and 100 mg caffeine:
1. Take two tablets at the first sign of a migraine headache.
2. Lie down and relax in a quiet, dark room for at least two hours.
3. If the headache pain does not stop within 30 minutes, take one or two more tablets.
4. Take one or two tablets every 30 minutes until the headache pain stops or until you have taken six tablets.
5. If the headache pain continues after you have taken six tablets, call your doctor.
6. Do not take more than six tablets for one headache unless your doctor specifically tells you to do so.
7. Do not take more than six tablets in a 24-hour period or 10 tablets in one week. If you need more, call your doctor.
To use the suppositories, follow these steps:
1. If the suppository feels soft, place it in ice-cold water (before removing the foil wrapper) until it hardens.
2. Remove the wrapper and dip the tip of the suppository in water.
3. Lie down on your left side and raise your right knee to your chest.
4. Using your finger, insert the suppository into the rectum, about 1 inch in adults. Hold it in place for a few moments. Wash your hands thoroughly; then lie down and relax in a dark, quiet room for at least two hours.
5. If the headache pain does not stop within one hour, insert another suppository.
6. If the headache pain continues after you have inserted two suppositories, call your doctor. Do not use more than two suppositories for one headache unless your doctor specifically tells you to do so.
7. Do not use more than five suppositories in one week. If you need more, call your doctor.
Special Instruction : Avoid exposure to cold.
Side Effects :
1. Although side effects from ergotamine tartrate with caffeine are not common, they can occur. Nausea, vomiting. Lie down and relax in a quiet, dark room after taking the drug. Contact your doctor if these effects persist or become severe.
2. Leg weakness; muscle pain or stiffness in the legs, arms, neck, or shoulders; coldness, numbness, and tingling of the fingers and toes; abdominal pain. If these effects persist or are severe, contact your doctor.
3. Chest pain. Contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you take ergotamine tartrate and caffeine, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially erythromycin, nifedipine, prazosin, and propranolol.
2. Before you take this drug, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or may become pregnant or breast-feeding or if you have liver, kidney, or blood vessel disease; severe high blood pressure; Raynaud's disease; poor circulation; coronary artery disease or a severe infection. Contact your doctor if you develop any kind of infection while taking this medication.
3. If you take large doses of this medication for a long time, you may have a severe headache for a few days after stopping the drug. If the headache lasts for more than a few days, contact your doctor.
4. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions : Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature and away from direct light. Keep suppositories away from excess heat.