Generic Name : DANTROLENE
Pronunciation : (dan' troe leen)
Trade Name(s) : Dantrium
Why it is prescribed: Dantrolene is a muscle relaxant used to treat certain types of spasticity or muscle spasms.
When it is to be taken: Dantrolene usually is taken once a day at first, and the dosage is increased gradually to two to four times a day. Follow the instructions on yor prescription label carefully. You may have to take Dantrolene for one week or longer before feeling its effects.
How it should be taken: Dantrolene comes in the form of capsules. Yours prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. If you cannot swallow capsules, empty the contents into fruit juice and mix well just before taking the dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory so that your doctor can evaluate your response to this drug. You probably will have blood tests periodically.
2. Dantrolene may cause weakness, drowsiness, and dizziness. Do not drive a car, operate dangerous machinery, or do anything that requires alertness or physical coordination until yo know how this drug affects you.
3. Dantrolene can make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
4. Avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight and wear protective clothing, sunglasses, and a sunscreen preparation.
5. If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it and take any remaining doses for that day at evenly spaced intervals. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
Side Effects :
1. Muscle weakness, slurred speech, drooling, uncontrolled urination, diarrhea, drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, fatigue. If these effects persist for more than four days or if diarrhea or muscle weakness is severe, contact your doctor.
2. Dark urine, yellowing of skin and eyes. Contact your doctor.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you take dantrolene, tell your doctor if you have liver, heart, or lung disease or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
2. Before you take this drug, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially diazepam, estrogen, antihistamines, sedatives, tranquilizers, narcotics, sleeping pills, and medication for seizures, depression, allergies, hay fever, or colds.
3. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions : Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature.