Generic Name: CYCLOBENZAPRINE
Pronunciation: (sye kloe ben' za preen)
Trade Name(s): Flexeril
Why it is prescribed: Cyclobenzaprine, a muscle relaxant, relieves pain and stiffness caused by muscle strains and sprains.
When it is to be taken: Cyclobenzaprine usually is taken two to four times a day. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. Do not take this drug for more than three weeks without consulting your doctor.
How it should be taken: Cyclobenzaprine comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose.
1. Cyclobenzaprine can decrease alertness and coordination. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how it affects you.
2. Follow your doctor's instructions for rest and exercise. This conduct is as important as remembering to take your medication.
3. If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it and take any remaining doses for that day at evenly spaced intervals.
1. Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, indigestion, nausea, constipation, bad taste in mouth, headache, blurred vision, nervousness, confusion. If these effects persist or become severe, contact your doctor.
2. Dry mouth.
1. Before taking cyclobenzaprine, tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, an overactive thyroid gland, heart disease, or difficulty urinating or if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
2. Before you take this medication, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially cimetidine and antidepressants.
3. Do not take sedatives, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, or medication for allergies, asthma, coughs, or colds while taking cyclobenzaprine without consulting your doctor.
4. Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this drug.
5. Alcohol adds to the dizziness and drowsiness caused by cyclobenzaprine.
6. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions: Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature, away from excess heat.