Generic Name: CROMOLYN SODIUM NASAL SOLUTION
Pronunciation: (kroe' moe lin)
Trade Name(s): Nasalcrom
Why it is prescribed: Cromolyn sodium nasal solution is used to prevent and treat the stuffy nose, sneezing, and postnasal drip of allergies.
When it is to be taken: Cromolyn sodium nasal solution must be used on a regular schedule (usually three or four times a day) to prevent allergy symptoms. It is most effective when used before exposure to substances that cause allergies. If you have seasonal allergies, continue to use the drug until the season is over. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. Improvement in allergy symptoms usually occurs within two to four weeks
How it should be taken: Cromolyn sodium comes in the form of liquid for nasal use in a bottle with a special nasal spray applicator. To use the nasal spray, first blow your nose and clear it as much as possible. Then follow the direction provided, making sure to breathe in through your nose as you release the spray.
1. If you forget to take a dose, take this missed dose as soon as you remember it. Take any remaining doses for that day at evenly spaced intervals. However, if you remember the missed dose when it is almost time for your next scheduled dose, omit the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
2. Do not allow anyone else to use this drug.
Side Effects: Sneezing; temporary nasal burning, stinging, and irritations or unpleasant taste; headache. Contact your doctor if these effects persist or are severe.
1. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should inform their doctors.
2. Do not use more or less of the medication than prescribed.
3. Do not allow anyone else to use this medication.
Storage Conditions: Keep cromolyn sodium out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature. Protect if from heat, light, and moisture.