Generic Name: CLOBETASOL
Pronunciation: (kloe bay' ta sol)
Trade Name(s): Betanate, Clobetamil, Clobetavate, Clonit, DermotylSkinCream, Exel, Lobate, Powercort, Steriderm-S, Tenovate, Topifort, Topinate,
Why it is prescribed: Clobetasol is used to treat itching, redness, dryness, crusting, scaling, inflammation, and doscomfort of various skin and scalp conditions.
When it is to be taken: Clobetasol is used once or twice a day, in the morning and evening, or three times a week. Follow the instructions on your prescription label. Do not use clobetasol for longer than 14 days without your doctor's approval.
How it should be taken: Clobetasol comes in the form of cream and ointment for use on the skin and in the form of lotion to apply to the scalp. Wash the affected skin area thoroughly; then apply the medication sparingly in a thin film and rub it in gently. However, if washing irritates you skin, apply the drug without washing first. Do not bandage or otherwise wrap the area. The scalp lotion should be applied directly from the squeeze bottle to the affected area. If you use this medication on your face, keep it out of your eyes.
1. Use clobetasol exactly as prescribed. Do not apply more of it, do not apply it more often, and do not use it for a longer time than as directed on your prescription label.
2. Clobetasol can be absorbed into your body if used in large amounts and can cause harmful effects.
3. Do not use clobetasol for other skin problems, and do not apply it to areas of your body other than as prescribed.
4. Do not apply cosmetics, lotions, or other skin preparations to the treated area unless your doctor specifically tells you to do.
5. If your skin problem continues or worsens or if the treated area gets infected (red, warm, or swollen) or oozes pus, contact your doctor.
6. If you forget to take a dose, apply the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if it is near the time for your next scheduled dose, apply only the scheduled dose. Do not apply a double dose.
Side Effects: Although side effects from clobetasol are not common, they can occur. Itching, burning and irritation are rarely seen. Contact your doctor.
1. If you have an infection, tell your doctor before using clobetasol.
2. Pregnant women should inform their doctors before using this drug.
3. Discard any unused medication after your treatment course is completed.
4. Do not use this drug to treat other skin problems.
5. Do not allow anyone else to use this medication without a doctor's prescription, especially children.
Storage Conditions: Keep this medication out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature.