Name: ASPIRIN and CODEINE
Pronunciation: (as' pir in) (koe' deen)
Trade Name(s): Apidin, Ascripptin with codeine, Empirin with codeine
Why it is prescribed: This combination of drugs is used to relieve moderate pain.
When it is to be taken: This medication is usually taken every four hours as needed. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully.
How it should be taken: This medication comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription label gives you the exact amount to be taken at each dose.Take only the amount prescribed by your doctor. If you think that you need more to relieve your symptoms, contact your doctor.
1. Codeine makes some people drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how it affects you.
2. This medication can be habit-forming. Do not take it more often or for a longer period than your doctor tells you to and do not take more than the amount prescribed at each dose.
3. Do not increase your dose without consulting your doctor.
1. Nausea, vomiting and stomach pain are seen. Take this medication after meals or with a full glass of water or milk. If these effects continue, contact your doctor.
2. Ringing in the ears, dizziness, bloody or black stools and difficulty breathing are rare. Contact your doctor.
1. Tell your doctor what other medications you are taking, particularly 'blood thinners' (e.g., warfarin), acetazolamide, corticosteroids, methotrexate and medication for arthritis, gout, or diabetes.
2. Do not take sleeping pills, tranquilizers, antidepressants, sedatives, or any other medications unless your doctor tells you that you may.
3. Tell your doctors if you have asthma, anemia, bleeding problems, a history of ulcers, or gout.
4. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, inform your doctor before taking this medication.
5. Alcoholic beverages can add to the drowsiness and stomach irritation caused by this drug.
6. Do not take this medication if you have had a previous allergic reaction to codeine or aspirin.
7. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
1. Keep this medication in a tightly closed container in a cool and dry place and out of the reach of children.
2. Throw away any medication that smells strongly of vinegar.