Generic Name: ACETAMINOPHEN and HYDROCODONE BITARTRATE
Pronunciation: (a set a mee noe fen) (hye droe koe done)
Trade Name(s): Lorcet-HD, Lortab, Vicodin, Zydone, Anexsia
Why it is prescribed: Hydrocodone bitartrate is an opioid analgesic and antitussive. Acetaminophen is a non-opiate analgesic (pain killer) and antipyretic (reduces fever). Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever that increases the effects of hydrocodone bitartrate. This combination of drugs is used to relieve mild to moderate pain.
When it is to be taken: This medication is usually taken every four to six hours as needed. Follow the instructions on your prescription carefully.
How it should be taken: This medication comes in the form of tablets, caps
Special Instruction: 1.This drug can be habit-forming. Do not take it more often or for a longer duration of time. Do not take more than the amount prescribed at each dose.
2.This drug makes some people drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate any dangerous machinery. Alcohol may increase the drowsiness caused by this drug. Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this medication.
Side Effects: Although side effects from acetaminophen with hydrocodone bitartrate are not common, they can occur. The common side effects are lightheadedness, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, impaired mental and physical performance, mood changes, and constipation.
Other Precautions: 1. Do not take sleeping pills, tranquilizers, sedatives, antidepressants or other pain relievers without consulting your doctor.
2. An overdose of acetaminophen can be harmful.
3. Before you take this drug, be sure that your doctor knows your entire medical history, especially if you have a liver or kidney disease.
4. Pregnant or breast-feeding women should inform their doctor before taking this medication.
5. Tell your doctor if you ever had a reaction to acetaminophen, hydrocodone or sulfites.
6. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions: Keep this medication out of reach of children.