This article is from the Backgammon FAQ, by Mark Damish email@example.com with numerous contributions by others.
Netgammon backgammon server
Garrett has shut down Netgammon as of late February 1995. It will be
remembered and missed.
RSCARDS Backgammon on GEnie
GEnie (General Electric's Consumer Information Service) offers on-line
multi-player games in RSCARDS including backgammon.
* Graphic User Interface (GUI) is available for the following
computers: IBM, Atari ST, Apple IIgs, Macintosh Mono, Macintosh
Color, Amiga and Commodore 128 Mono
* TTY [text only] for non-supported formats.
* Friendly and fun atmosphere. Peak playing times are evenings and
* Regular monthly prizes for eligible, high-score players.
* Regular tournaments (see below).
* Game transcripts available immediately.
* Technical support and gaming discussion available in the
Multiplayer Games RoundTable.
* Access to other on-line multiplayer games including RSCARDS chess,
checkers, reversi, poker, blackjack and bridge.
How to Access RSCARDS Backgammon on GEnie:
To sign up to GEnie, just follow these simple steps:
1. Set your communications software for half duplex (local echo), at
300, 1200, 2400 baud.
2. Dial toll free: 1-800-638-8369, or in Canada, 1-800-387-8330. Upon
connection, enter HHH
3. At the U# prompt, enter JOINGENIE then press <RETURN>
4. When asked to enter a code enter: MMC524 [This will waive your
first $8.95 month subscription fee and give you an additional
$50.00 online credit during your first month on GEnie!]
5. Have a major credit card ready. In the U.S. you may also use your
checking account number.
For additional information including subscriptions and fees call:
Once you have a GEnie account, simply type RSCARDS from any GEnie
prompt. This will take you to the main area, where you can download
GUI's and get general information on RSCARDS.
You can reach the Backgammon page directly by typing M877. This will
bring you to a menu with specific backgammon information and access to
For questions and technical support, visit the Multiplayer Games
RoundTable. Type M1045 from any GEnie prompt and set to CATegory 29.
There are a variety of Backgammon, GUI and RSCARDS TOPics available.
GEnie Backgammon Tourneys are held quarterly. Sign-ups start:
January 1st, April 1st, July 1st and October 1st
Tourney play starts the third Wednesday of those months
[Section on tourney rules is available online at GEnie]
[Note: GEnie is a service like compuserve... They have a monthly fee
and you pay by the hour for use. Contact GEnie for rates.]
Backgammon is among a package of eight Macintosh only internet games
offerred for a flat monthly fee ($9.95) by the on-line service
Outland, Inc. The games are advertised and offerred for ftp and free
trial at http://www.outland.com/OutlandBackgammon.html Judging from
the web page it appears to share many features with FIBS plus
providing a nice built-in graphical (draggable pieces) interface.
Play By E-Mail
While not quite in thte same league as FIBS, I have a PBeM Server that
supports Backgammon as one of its' games. Send mail to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with 'help' as the Subject: line for details,
or visit Richards page at: http://coyote.vtsu.prc.com:8080/~pbmserv
This appears to be a backgammon server that allows players with the
hotjava browser to play other players. The server has been created by
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~leesmith/hotjava.html Info on Java
extensions, programs, etc...