This article is from the US Taxes FAQ, by Wayne Ross firstname.lastname@example.org.
The charter for misc.taxes.moderated follows:
Misc.taxes.moderated is for the discussion of taxes,
including, but not limited to, proposed and existing tax laws,
regulations and procedures, among professional tax practitioners
and other interested persons, and for answering queries concerning
This newsgroup is intended to provide a home for
well-tempered discussions, including, but not limited to, the
1. Current developments in tax law including but not limited
to, court decisions, legislative enactments, and executive
actions with tax implications, and proposed laws and
2. The content and effects of existing tax laws, and rulings of
courts at all levels.
3. Professional ethics and professional discipline of tax
4. Problems encountered by tax practitioners that may be of
interest to the tax community.
5. First-person anecdotes and commentary by non-practitioners
concerning encounters they have had with tax practitioners,
the IRS, the courts or other entities which administer
6. Queries (including those from non-practitioners) concerning
the content of the tax law, and replies to those posts, so
long as the context of the exchange makes it clear that
**specific legal tax advice is not being provided**.
Responses will be posted in the newsgroup and not sent by
E-mail, so that the response can benefit from peer review
by others in the group.
7. Tax humor (There is such a thing).