This article is from the Ducatis Motorcycles FAQ, by Duke Robillard firstname.lastname@example.org with numerous contributions by others.
At 12000 miles you should:
* change oil and filter
* check and adjust valves as necessary
* install new plugs
* re-trim EFI if necessary, including re-balance
* service fuel filter/air filter as required
* replace and set tensions on the cam drive belts
* lube and inspect all cables, bulbs, connections, etc....
It's probably also a really good idea to flush and bleed the brakes every
year, and relube the steering head and suspension pivot bearings. The 851
runs the swing arm pivot in the cases like the 750ss/900ss series bikes,
which don't need service, but you ought to lube the pivot bearings on the
rear suspension yearly. Finish it with flushing/refilling the fork
assembly, which is easier done pulling the fork legs off first
(facilitating lubing the steering head).