This article is from the Sacramento FAQ, by David F. Prenatt, Jr. with numerous contributions by others.
The fledgling sac.* USENET domain is comprised of the following
* sac.general (<news:sac.general >).
* sac.swap (<news:sac.swap >).
* sac.music (<news:sac.music >).
* sac.singles (<news:sac.singles >).
* sac.sports (<news:sac.sports >).
* sac.announce (<news:sac.announce >).
* sac.jobs (<news:sac.jobs >).
* sac.politics (<news:sac.politics >).
* sac.csus (<news:sac.csus >).
* sac.motss (<news:sac.motss >).
* sac.internet (<news:sac.internet >).
The sacramento.* USENET domain is essentially defunct. Many argue
that it never should have been created. I personally "newgrouped"
duplicates of all newsgroup from the sacramento.* domain that were not
already in existence, hoping that someone would delete the various
newsgroups from the sacramento.* domain, and received nothing but
grief for my troubles. The last time that I checked, the sacramento.*
domain was still comprised of the following limited traffic
* sacramento.music (<news:sacramento.music >).
* sacramento.singles (<news:sacramento.singles >).
* sacramento.sports (<news:sacramento.sports >).
* sacramento.announce (<news:sacramento.announce >).
* sacramento.jobs (<news:sacramento.jobs >).
* sacramento.politics (<news:sacramento.politics >).
* sacramento.csus (<news:sacramento.csus >).
* sacramento.motss (<news:sacramento.motss >).
* sacramento.internet (<news:sacramento.internet >).
The sac.* domain has several inherent advantages over the sacramento.*
domain, most notably that the sac.* domain is already propogated
worldwide. Unfortunately, there has been tremendous apathy about
cleaning up these overlapping domains, as the ba.* domain carries so
much of the traffic that should be on the sac.* domain.
Having watched this situation remain relatively stable for the
last few years, I am ambivalent about even bringing up the subject of
extending the sac.* domain and eliminating the sacramento.* domain.
When I do bring it up, I usually get one or two responses, and that's
that. If you are interested in receiving the sac.* newsgroups listed
above, please contact John Sandhoff at California State University,
Sacramento (<mailto:email@example.com >). Perhaps your voice will be
the one that makes a difference.