This article is from the Object-Oriented Technology FAQ, by Bob Hathaway email@example.com with numerous contributions by others.
by: ArtInAppleS Ltd.
845 03 Bratislava
fax: x42-7-777 779
Distributor for Germany:
ARS NOVA Software GmbH
Stettener Strasse 32/3
73732 Esslingen a.N.
Phone: x49-711 3704001
Fax: x49-711 3704001
Languages: Objectworks\Smalltalk by ParcPlace Systems, Inc.
Platforms: Unix, PC Windows, Macintosh
- Fully implemented in Objectworks\Smalltalk
(ArtBASE is delivered with source code)
- ArtBASE extents Smalltalk of persistency. Persistent objects are handled the
same way as transient objects.
- Optimistic and pessimistic concurrency control.
- Transactions, including long lived transactions
- User concept with access restrictions
- storing of classes and methods in the database - entire applications
may be stored in an ArtBASE database, including the data AND the
- Currently, a single user version is available. The Distributed Multi User Server Version
will be presented at the OOPSLA'93 at Washington D.C. in September 1993 for Unix
environments and PCs.
- Existing applications can be turned to database applications very easily using ArtBASE