This article is from the rec.heraldry FAQ, by Gordon Findlay (email@example.com) and Francois Velde (firstname.lastname@example.org) with numerous contributions by others.
This comes up very, very frequently. There are lots of ways of doing this,
but this one at least works. I'll use drive C:, substitute the letter of
your hard drive if necessary.
Step by step then:
- obtain the file BLAZONS.ZIP. If you FTP it yourself, remember to use
binary mode .
- move BLAZONS.ZIP into the ROOT directory of drive C:
- obtain a copy of PKUNZIP.EXE, if you don't already have one. Put it
in any directory on your path. Most people have a UTILS or UTILITY
- type PKUNZIP -D BLAZONS (Enter) The -D is critical: it forces pkunzip
to create the correct directories.
If all goes well, you will have a directory called BLAZONS, and in it several
files, and a subdirectory called PICTS. You can now delete BLAZONS.ZIP, or
at least move it someplace more appropriate than the root directory.
Run the program from the BLAZONS directory. There is a documentation file
BLAZONS.DOC in that directory as well.
If the unzip operation fails check that:
- you have a recent version of pkunzip. Version 2.04g certainly works, so
should any later versions. Earlier versions MIGHT work.
- you did ftp BLAXONS.ZIP in binary mode.
- you remembered the -D switch.