5.3.2 As long as there are amalgam fillings in your mouth.

These are some of the factors that has been proposed to raise the mercury efflux from amalgam fillings in amalgam-bearers over the base-line value;

How much the daily mercury dosage of an amalgam-bearer will raise, and if clinically relevant is not scientifically clear for all of the above mentioned factors that increase the mercury efflux over the base-line value. However; It seems that people in general do not have to exaggerate the safety measures of above in order to stay healthy. But if there are people who do have a (non-allergic-) amalgam-related illness, lowering even smaller parts of the total mercury exposure / absorption could hopefully / possibly contribute to symptom reduction. People chewing much gum as well as people grinding their teeth should know that they could possibly get substantial amounts of mercury from there amalgam fillings unless they reduce their gum chewing or use an occlusal splint during sleep respectively.

5.4 Remove fillings slowly.

If there is such a thing as (non-allergic-) amalgam-related illness (with the report from Molin (1990) in mind) it is not too difficult to arrive at the conclusion that the Hg-exposure could easily become too elevated for a person with such an illness, if all fillings are removed, at least if only standard protective measures is used, during one day. The Swedish Association of Dental Mercury Patients (16 years old, 15 000 members) recommends you to remove only 1 filling each time, then wait 6-8 weeks before you remove the next filling, however if your dentists has good protective measures and you do not feel adverse effects after removal of an amalgam filling you are told that you can proceed faster ( Tandvardsskadeforbundet 1993).

5.5 Minerals / vitamins in pharmacological doses.

There are reports from patient organisations as well as some doctors... that states that (some) people with suspected (non-allergic-) amalgam-related illness can benefit from vitamins, minerals... in pharmacological ("mega") doses. This is what the Swedish Association of Dental Mercury Patients recommends you to take per day (per os), starting at least two months before you remove your first amalgam-filling (Tandvardsskadeforbundet 1993):

  • Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 50-100 milligrams / day.
  • Niacin / nicotinamid 25-500 milligrams / day
  • Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) 25-50 milligrams / day
  • Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) at least 1 gram / day (to be taken "gt; 2h apart from selen)
  • Vitamin E 100-200 milligrams / day
  • Magnesium 100-300 milligrams / day
  • Selen 50-200 micrograms / day
  • Zinc 20-40 milligrams / day

According to the Swedish Association of Dental Mercury Patients (Tandvardsskadeforbundet 1993) a dose of 10-50 g C-vitamin is sometimes used to counteract certain diseases, and diarrhoea will follow if you ingest too much C-vitamin. Further more, oral ingestion of 25-50 mg sulphur powder 3 times a day has anecdotally been reported as beneficial (Tandvardsskadeforbundet 1993).
Then there are many other nutrients (Coenzyme Q-10, folic acid and pyridoxine per os together with intramuscular injections of vitamin B12 (preferable as methylcobalamin?), algae, garlic, amino acids as acetylcystein...) recommended from various people / organisations, you will have to do the "trial and error" here besides reading about it.

To my knowledge, there are no human clinical controlled studies of the effectiveness, in individuals with suspected (non-allergic-) amalgam-related illness, of the use of vitamins / minerals as suggested above. The use of minerals / vitamins as suggested above... is based upon animal and in vitro studies in addition to experiences among patients, and / or (some) physicians who treat patients, with claimed / suspected / probable (non-allergic-) amalgam-related illness.

Here well controlled studies in humans would be welcome. But, bearing in mind that there are people who report that they do not tolerate selenium, magnesium, B12 injections, B-vitamin-complex... and that maybe only some people benefit from a treatment like this, this kind of study perhaps ought to be made with each patient as its own control.

5.6 Reducing gastro-intestinal (re-) uptake of mercury.

It is rather large amount mercury that passes through the gut every day in amalgam-bearers (Barregard 1995, Edlund 1996 and Skare 1994). This amount could be taken as an indication that there could be of interest to try to lower the uptake of mercury from the gut, even though there usually is stated that only a minor part of the inorganic mercury that is in the gastro-intestinal canal is absorbed.
Inorganic mercury, from your fillings, swallowed with saliva can be taken up from the gastro-intestinal canal. Mercury excreted into the gut (with bile, by the sloughing of of the gut's mucous cells, or Hg in blood-> Hg in salivary glands-> Hg in saliva-> Hg swallowed into the gut) can be reuptaken. Dietary fibres could maybe lower the (re-) uptake of such mercury.

Also make sure to read these books: Poison in Your Teeth: Mercury Amalgam (Silver) Fillings...Hazardous to Your Health! and Mercury Detoxification by Tom McGuire