Generic Name : PROPOXYPHENE
Pronunciation : (proe pox' i feen)
Trade Name(s) :
Why it is prescribed: Propoxyphene is used to relieve mild to moderate pain.
When it is to be taken: This medication is usually taken every four hours as neeed. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand. This drug begins to take effect within one hour and goes on working for four to six hours.
How it should be taken: Propoxyphene comes in the form of capsules, tablets, and oral liquid form. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. Shake the liquid bottle well before each use. You may obtain a specially marked measuring spoon to be sure of an accurate dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Propoxyphene can cause drowsiness. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
2. Propoxyphene can be habit-forming. Do not take it more often or for a longer time than your doctor tells you to, and do not take more than the prescribed amount at each dose.
3. Contact your doctor if this medication is not effective or loses its effect.
4. Do not smoke while taking propoxyphene. Somking can decrease its effectiveness.
Side Effects : When taken as directed, propoxyphene is virtually free of side effects.
Other Precautions :
1. Do not increase your dosage without consulting your doctor. Symptoms of propoxyphene overdose include weakness, difficulty breathing, confusion, and dizziness.
2. Some patients become unconscious. If these symptoms occur, call your doctor and obtain emergency help immediately.
3. Tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking.
4. Do not take sedatives, tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, antidepressants, sleeping pills, or other pain relievers unless your doctor specifically tells you that you may.
5. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should inform their doctors. 6. Alcoholic beverages can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
7. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature.
3. Do not allow the oral liquid to freeze.