Generic Name : PRAZEPAM
Pronunciation : (pra' ze pam)
Trade Name(s) : Serepax, Calmpose, Ativan
Why it is prescribed: Prazepam is used to relieve anxiety.
When it is to be taken: Prazepam usually is taken several times a day or once a day at bedtime. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand. Do not take prazepam for more than four months without consulting your doctor.
How it should be taken: Prazepam comes in the form of capsules and tablets. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Prazepam can decrease alertness and coordination. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
2. Because prazepam can be habit-forming, do not take more of it, do not take it more often, and do not take it for a longer time than as directed.
3. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor, especially if you have been taking it for a long time.
4. Stopping the drug abruptly can worsen your condition and cause withdrawal symptoms. Your doctor probably will want to decrease your dose gradually.
5. Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. Your dose may need to be adjusted occasionally, and you may have blood tests periodically.
Side Effects :
1. Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, muscle incoordination, fatigue, confusion, faintness. If these effects persist for more than a few days, contact your doctor.
2. Talkativeness, restlessness, anxiety, excitement, trembling, muscle spasms, sleeping problems, nightmares. Stop taking the drug and contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Women who are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, think they may be pregnant, or are breast-feeding should inform their doctors. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor immediately.
2. Before you take this drug, tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially cimetidine, digoxin, disulfiram, levodopa, seizure medication, sleeping pills, prescription pain medication, medication for depression, barbiturates, tranquilizers, sedatives, antihistamines, and medication for allergies and colds.
3. Do not drink alcoholic beverages. Alcohol adds to the drowsiness and dizziness caused by this drug.
4. Do not smoke while taking prazepam. Smoking can decrease its effectiveness.
5. If you have liver or kidney disease, tell your doctor before taking prazepam.
6. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature and away from light.