Generic Name : NORFLOXACIN
Pronunciation : (nor flox' a sin)
Trade Name(s) : Alflox, Anquin, Biofloxin, Emflox, Enteroflox, Flox, Floxone, Meriflox, Negaflux, Neonox, Nor-U, Norbactin, Norflox, Norilet, Normax, Norspan, Quinobid, Quinolox, Renor, Tamflox, Uroflox, Zeflox
Why it is prescribed: Norfloxacin eliminates bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. It also has been used to treat gastrointestinal infections.
When it is to be taken: Norfloxacin is usually taken twice a day, for 7 to 10 days or longer. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor to explain any part that you do not understand.
How it should be taken: Norfloxacin comes in tablet form. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose. Take this medication with a full glass of water on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after meals.
Special Instruction :
1. Take all of the medication prescribed, even after you begin to feel better. Failure to do so could allow the infection to return. If your symptoms do not improve within a few days or if you still have signs of infection after taking all of your medication, contact your doctor.
2. Norfloxacin can cause dizziness or lightheadedness. Do not drive a car or operate dangerous machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
3. You may have urine tests to determine whether the infection is cured. Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory.
4. Drink at least eight full glasses of water or other liquids every day.
5. If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if you remember a missed dose near the time you are to take the next dose, take only the scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose.
6. It is important to take all doses of medication on schedule, especially during the first few days of treatment, so that bacteria do not become resistant to the effects of norfloxacin.
Side Effects :
1. Nausea, abdominal pain, indigestion, constipation, gas, heartburn. Take this medication with crackers or a light snack. If these effects persist, contact your doctor.
2. Headache, dizziness, fatigue, depression, sleep disturbances. Contact your doctor if these effects are severe or persist. Stop taking norfloxacin and contact your doctor.
Other Precautions :
1. Do not take antacids within two hours of taking norfloxacin.
2. Tell your doctor what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking, especially theophylline, antacids, and anti-infective medications.
3. Before taking norfloxacin, tell your doctor if you have epilepsy or kidney disease.
4. Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding should inform their doctors.
5. Do now allow anyone else, especially a child, to take your medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed and out of the reach of children.
2. Store it at room temperature.