Generic Name : MEDROXYPROGESTERONE
Pronunciation : (me drox, ee proe jess' te rone)
Trade Name(s) : Depo-provera, Deviry, Farlutal, Meprate, Modus, Orgamed, Provera
Why it is prescribed: Medroxyprogesterone is used to treat amenorrhoea i.e., the absence of menstrual periods and abnormal bleeding from uterus caused by hormonal imbalance.
When it is to be taken: Medroxyprogesterone usually is taken once a day for 5 to 10 days, starting during the latter half of your menstrual cycle (16th to 21st day). Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully. Consult your doctor if you are not sure when to take your first dose. Your menstrual period probably will begin three to seven day after your last dose. Try to take this medication at the same time each day, such as when you wake up, to help you remember it.
How it should be taken: Medroxyprogesterone comes in the form of tablets. Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose.
Special Instruction :
1. Keep all appointments with your doctor and the laboratory. You should have a complete physical examination, including blood pressure measurements, breast and pelvic examinations, and a Pap test, at least once a year.
2. Follow your doctor's instructions for examining your breasts; report any lumps immediately.
3. If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. However, if you remember a missed dose at the time you are scheduled to take the next one, omit the missed lose. Do not take a double dose.
Side Effects :
1. Spotting or bleeding between menstrual periods, changes in menstrual flow, lack of menstrual periods, bloating, weight gain or loss, black or brown colored skin spots, depression. Contact your doctor if these effects persist or are severe.
2. Skin rash, itching, difficulty breathing, yellowing of skin or eyes, sudden and severe headache, vision or speech problems, dizziness or faintness, weakness or numbness in an arm or leg, sharp or crushing chest pain, unexplained cough, coughing up of blood, sudden shortness of breath, heaviness in the chest. Contact your doctor immediately.
Other Precautions :
1. Before you take this medication, tell your doctor your entire medical history, including high blood pressure; seizures; migraine headaches; diabetes; asthma; heart, liver, or kidney disease; strokes; blood clots; heart attacks; cancer of the breast or genitals; high blood level of cholesterol or fats; mental depression; excessive weight gain or fluid retention during your menstrual cycle; and jaundice or high blood pressure during pregnancy.
2. Tell your doctor what prescription and non prescription drugs you are taking. Before you take medroxyprogesterone, tell your doctor at once.
3. Before having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor that you take medroxprogesterone. Because this drug can interfere with laboratory tests, tell the doctor and laboratory personnel that you take medroxyprogesterone.
4. Do not smoke cigarettes. Medroxyuprogesterone may slightly increase your risk of strokes, blood clots, high blood pressure, heart attacks, gallbladder disease, vision problems, and liver tumors. Cigarette smoking further increases the risk of strokes, blood clots, high blood pressure, and heart attacks.
5. Do not allow anyone ales to take this medication.
Storage Conditions : Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature.