Generic Name : ETHAMBUTOL
Pronunciation : (e tham' byoo tole)
Trade Name(s) : Albutol, Cavibutol, Combutol, Concox, Ebutol,
Ecox, Koxi, Myambutol, Mycombutol, Mycostat, Mycoxol, Themibutol, Tibitol, Tolbin-1000, Tolbin-800
Why it is prescribed: Ethambutol eliminates certain bacteria
that cause tuberculosis. It is used with other drugs to treat
tuberculosis and to prevent you from giving the infection to others.
When it is to be taken: Ethambutol usually is taken once
a day in the morning. You will probably be taking this medication
for six months to two years. Take it at the same time each day,
such as when you eat breakfast, to make it easier to remember.
How it should be taken: Ethambutol comes in the form of
tablets. Your prescription label tells you how much to take a
Special Instruction :
1. Take all of the medication prescribed, even when you feel better.
If you stop taking the medication abruptly, the infection can
2. Your doctor will want to examine your eyes every three to six
months while you are taking this medication.
3. Blood, kidney, and liver tests may be done also. Keep all appointments
with your doctor and the laboratory.
4. If you forget to take a dose, take the missed dose as soon
as you remember it. However, if you remember a missed dose near
the time you are to take the next one, take only the regularly
scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose.
Side Effects :
1. Blurred vision, inability to see the colors red and green,
sudden changes in vision, rash, itching. Stop taking ethambutol
and contact your doctor immediately.
2. Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting. These problems should go
away as your body adjusts to the medication. If they get worse,
contact your doctor.
Other Precautions :
1. Even though ethambutol has been used safely in pregnant women,
tell your doctor if you are pregnant.
2. Tell your doctor if you have kidney problems or eye defects,
such as cataracts, before taking ethambutol.
3. Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
Storage Conditions :
1. Keep this medication in the container it came in and out of
the reach of children.
2. Do not store the container in direct sunlight or in very hot
or moist areas such as the bathroom.