This article is from the Final-Fantasy and other Square Soft Games FAQ, by firstname.lastname@example.org (Nick Zitzmann) with numerous contributions by others.
Before you go sleeping at any of this game's inns, you should consider
that there may be a nearby free inn in this game. This is especially
important to remember at the beginning of the game, where you're trying
to save as much GP as you can.
Look for free inns at these places:
- Sabin's House (World of Balance): Just north of South Figaro is
Sabin's House. You can step into any of the beds inside this house to
rest for free. (Note: This trick doesn't work in the World of Ruin.)
- Blackjack (World of Balance): The Blackjack (Setzer's first airship)
includes a guy who hands out "refreshments," which act like a free inn.
- Mobliz (any time): Go into the relic shop, and walk into the room in
the far back. There's a bed which you can use for free.
- Returners' Hideout (World of Balance): Any time you need a rest, you
can sleep at the Returners' Hideout for free. Just go to the barracks
and talk to the guard on duty.
- Vector (World of Balance), part 1: There are actually three free inns
in Vector: The first one is inside the first building you see in Vector.
It's free, but the innkeeper will randomly steal some of your GP in the
middle of the night. Don't stay here! (Note: It appears that Ted Woolsey
got one past the Nintendo censorers here: In the next room over, you'll
see a young couple sleeping together...)
- Vector, part 2: In the building to the left of the inn, you'll see a
lady who will ask you if you wish to pledge alliegence to the Empire. If
you refuse, you'll be forced to fight a simple battle. Afterwards,
she'll heal you whenever you talk to her.
- Vector, part 3: If you don't like either of the other inns, talk to a
small boy that runs around the main part of town. He'll recover your
HP/status and MP for free.
- Figaro Castle (any time): The beds in Figaro are free. Have a snooze!
- Doma Castle (World of Ruin): You can also sleep in the deserted halls
of Doma Castle for free. If you have Cyan in your party when you go to
this free inn, you'll also end up playing Cyan's sub-quest.
- Narshe (any time): Inside the Weapon Shop is a bed you can use - to
reach it, enter the shop, then walk around the counter to the other