This article is from the Final-Fantasy and other Square Soft Games FAQ, by firstname.lastname@example.org (Nick Zitzmann) with numerous contributions by others.
After finishing the game, Square left in a treat which will keep
die-hard RPGers glued to the tubes for hours.
Upon completion of the game, the game will create a new save file, which
starts the game in "EX Mode". Under EX Mode, the game has the following
* The weapon and armor you renamed during Day 6 of the previous game
will appear in the inventory at the beginning of the game.
* The "Tool" and "BP Distribution" menus are always available, even on
* After each day is completed, around 2000 additional BP are awarded to
* Some monsters have been made more difficult to compensate for these
overwhelmingly powerful advantages.
* All of the gear left with Wayne at the end of the previous game
(except for key items) are retained in the EX game.
And, of course, the largest difference between regular and EX games: The
addition of the Chrysler Building. (You may have seen the top of the
building glowing red through the windows of the hospital.)
The Chrysler Building is a 77 floor maze which will take many hours to
complete, but doing so grants a different ending. It's best to try this
only during Day 5, however, due to the extreme difficulty. The building
actually starts out easy, but gets to be overwhelmingly difficult
starting with floor 50.
Also, if you get some Chrysler Building keys and then finish the game
the normal way, but leave the keys with Wayne, the keys will be
preserved into your next EX game. This is very useful for building up
bonus points, which are vital to the hardships in the upper levels of
the Chrysler Building.