This article is from the Final-Fantasy and other Square Soft Games FAQ, by email@example.com (Nick Zitzmann) with numerous contributions by others.
Believe it or not, all of the battles in Vagrant Story can be won using
a bit of elemental analysis:
* First, use a weapon which has a strong affinity against monsters of
the monster's type.
* If the monster is more slimy than solid, use an edged or piercing
* If the monster has a hard-as-armor exterior, use a blunt weapon.
* If the monster uses fire magic, use ice affinity attacks.
* If the monster uses ice magic, use fire affinity attacks.
* If the monster throws thunderbolts, use earth affinity attacks.
* If the monster uses various gasses, use air affinity attacks.
* If the monster is undead or evil, use light affinity attacks.
* If the monster doesn't affiliate themselves with an affinity, then use
spells such as Herakles and Prostasia to empower yourself.
* Always use accessories, gems, or (if you haven't cast any "fusion"
enchanter spells) magic to defend yourself from elemental attacks.
* Make it a priority to learn the defensive techniques that halve
elemental damage. When these skills are used successfully in battle, the
enemy may do a lethal amount of damage with a spell or special attack,
but if the defensive technique is used, Ashley can never fall to 0 HP.
This is very important for monsters with strong elemental attacks early
in the game.
* Be careful about using combo moves. All bosses and some monsters are
immune to certain status changes. It's a good idea not to use moves
which dramatically increase risk during long battles. Remember that,
after eight consecutive combos, risk will start to rise to incredible
Of course, some bosses (especially early and late in the game) can be
completely overwhelming. If you've done everything you are capable of
doing and just can't inflict any damage on a boss, then you can still
win, but it will take longer. Just be patient and keep attacking the
boss, using the appropriate offensive and defensive techniques, until
you win. It helps to have plenty of Vera Roots, since you need to keep
your risk at 30 or lower for the entire battle.