This article is from the Final-Fantasy and other Square Soft Games FAQ, by firstname.lastname@example.org (Nick Zitzmann) with numerous contributions by others.
No, there's no way to avoid getting locked up. (At least one magazine
incorrectly informed readers that it was possible.) You can change the
juror's minds about Crono's guiltiness, though. There are certain things
you can do at the beginning of the game that will make Crono more
- Nearby Gato: You might see some old man's lunch. If Crono eats the
lunch, the old man will later accuse him of eating the lunch.
- Near the telepods: Before approaching the telepods for the first time,
Marle will stop and browse a candy store. If Crono tries to run away
twice, Marle will say: "There's no need to drag me off like a
- At Leene's Bell: When Crono first bumps into Marle, if Crono takes
Marle's necklace _before_ talking to Marle following the collision, this
will be noted in court.
- At Melchior's: If Marle is in the party, Melchior will ask Crono if he
could talk Marle into selling her necklace. If you say "yes," the
prosecution will note this in court.
- Nearby the caveman dance: A girl has lost her cat. The cat is nearby
Gato's place. Talk to it once, and it'll follow you - talk to it twice,
and it'll run away. If it runs away, the girl is called in as a witness
for the prosecution in the case. (If you return the cat, the girl is
called in as a witness for the defense in the case.)
- While in court: The prosecutor will ask Crono who was responsible for
the collision. If you blame it on Marle when you really bumped into her,
it counts against you.
- Also while in court: The prosecutor will ask Crono if he was tempted
by Marle's fortune. It counts against Crono if you admit to temptation.
If you want to be innocent, try not to do any of the above.
If Crono is found guilty, he is immediately locked up and detained for
five days before being executed.
If Crono is found innocent, he is detained for five days, but the
Chancellor has him executed anyway. The only difference between being
guilty and innocent, besides the dialogue, is if Crono is found
innocent, some sympathizers will leave him some Ethers.