This article is from the Final-Fantasy and other Square Soft Games FAQ, by firstname.lastname@example.org (Nick Zitzmann) with numerous contributions by others.
After the 'Keystone' event, there is a dating sequence at the Gold
Saucer. Up until now, the CPU has been keeping track of how Cloud has
been behaving towards the other characters. If Cloud is nicer to one
character than he is to another, he will date that character. If you got
Yuffie early on in the game, she also becomes a possible 'girlfriend'
for that night. And yes, if you're mean to all the women in your party,
but nice to Barret, he'll date you (no, it's not like that)!
Here are some of the events that determine who you will date:
* Running into Aeris after the reactor explodes - tell her to
get away (mean response), or chat with her (nice response)
Aeris will also dislike you if you chat with her but don't
buy any flowers.
* Buying flowers from Aeris makes her look favorably toward you,
and giving the flowers to Tifa makes her like you even more.
Give the flowers to Marlene, and Barret will like you.
* Ignore Tifa's story of how things were when she and Cloud
were young, and she'll dislike you.
* Teach Barret how to use Materia, and he'll like you.
* When you meet Aeris in the church, telling her that you
don't remember her will count as a mean response. So does letting
her fight all the battles when Reno chases you out of the
* During Cloud's flashback in Nibelheim, if Cloud accidentally
enters Tifa's house, Tifa will ask if Cloud entered her house.
You can either say 'yes' (mean response) or say 'no' (nice
* Yuffie will ask Cloud for a tranquilizer while on board the ship
from Junon. If you give her a tranquilizer, she'll like you more.
* If you enter the Pagoda of the Five Strong in Wutai without Yuffie
in your party, you will never be able to date Yuffie. Don't do it!
* And so on....
Generally, if you want to go out with a certain character, be nice to
them, and be as cruel as possible to the others. Since there are few
direct situations which involve Yuffie, you can only date her by being
mean to everyone, including Barret. Aeris is the prime candidate for a
date, so unless you're careful, you'll almost always get her for your
companion. In other words, make your decisions carefully!