This article is from the Final-Fantasy and other Square Soft Games FAQ, by firstname.lastname@example.org (Nick Zitzmann) with numerous contributions by others.
One of the most frequently asked questions the FAQ maintainer has been
receiving recently is the reasoning behind the cross-posting of this
FAQ. There is a reason why this FAQ is cross-posted into several groups:
1. rec.games.video.nintendo is receiving the FAQ because all of Square's
games from the company's beginnings until Treasure Hunter G in 1996 were
released for Nintendo game consoles.
2. rec.games.video.sony is receiving the FAQ because all of Square's
games from Tobal #1 in 1996 to the present were and will continue to be
released for Sony game consoles.
3. Both of the above also receive the FAQ because many news servers do
not receive alt.games.final-fantasy, so their only place to get
questions and answers about both old and new Square games is through the
4. rec.answers, news.answers, and alt.answers receive the FAQ in order
for this FAQ to be compliant with UseNet FAQ guidelines.
5. alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg is receiving the FAQ since the group is
no longer used as an online role-playing group, and is as often used to
discuss Final Fantasy as the original group.
Basically, no one forces anyone to read the FAQ. If anyone out there has
a problem with the FAQ's presence on newsgroups other than
alt.games.final-fantasy, then they do not have to read it if they don't
want to. The cross-post is a courtesy feature for the many people whose
news servers don't carry alt.games.final-fantasy and would otherwise
have no means of receiving an up-to-date version of the FAQ.