This article is from the 20th Century Appetizer Recipes, with numerous contributions by famous and also anonymous cooks
1 sm Onion, peeled and chopped
3 sm Yellow squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about
1 pound) 1/4 c Water
1 c Milk
3 sl White bread with crusts removed, crumbled
1 t Salt
1/2 t Monosodium glutamate (opt)
2 T Melted butter
1/2 c Grated Parmesan cheese
Italian flavored fine dry Bread crumbs
1. Place chopped onions and sliced squash in a 2-quart, heat- resistant, non-metallic casserole with water. Cover tightly and heat in Microwave Oven 7 minutes or until squash is tender. Drain excess water.
2. Soak crumbled slices of white bread in 1 cup mi1k, 5 minutes.
3. Add salt, monosodium glutamate, melted butter and grated cheese to bread and milk mixture. Stir to combine.
4. Pour bread and cheese mixture over squash and stir to mix together thoroughly.
5. Sprinkle top of mixture with Italian flavored dry bread crumbs. Cook,
uncovered, in Microwave Oven 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Variation: Zucchini may be substituted for yellow squash.